The privately run Berliner Kriminal Theater (Criminal Theatre Berlin) was founded in 2000 by the director Wolfgang Rumpf and the dramaturge Wolfgang Seppelt, since which time it has shown classics and bestsellers from criminal literature with a fixed ensemble cast.
The Umspannwerk Ost (Transformer Station East), the listed building in Friedrichshain has been the theatre's home since 2003 and was built between 1899 and 1900 by the architect O. Springmann as a frequency and transformer station for Berlin's electricity supply.
Nowadays, every evening on the stage of the Berliner Kriminal Theater there is as much murdering, assassinating and backstabbing as the public wants. Whether by poison or snake, falling flowerpot, or angel of death - every evening there are deaths to lament and perpetrators to expose. The question is always who did it and after much deliberation there is always a chivalrous conviction. After the theatre, the thrill-sated public can repair to the adjacent restaurant "Umspannwerk Ost" in the former turbine hall before merrily rolling home.